Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Out of the Woods
For my last blog I choose to read the article Out of the Woods: Today's Kids Can't See the Forest for the MTV. The author Joel Achenbach did an amazing job at comparing and contrasting children now and children back then along with using intreging phrases like Nature-Deficit Disorder and "A Death March". I really related to this article becuase I do think that children these days do not know how to play outside and maybe are even scacred to get dirty. All of my sibliings grew up shooting birds with bb guns, riding dirt bikes and four wheelers, fishing, and playing on the train bridge. Even when we got older and to this day we are always outside, lighting fires, riding motorcyles, hunting, hitting mailboxes with the plow truck, and junking. My family can not even remember passwords long enough to keep up with Facebook, Twitter, and whatever is popular, we talk to everyone we need to everyday so theres no need to be on our phones. My boyfiends neices and nephews (ages 7-12) came over the other night for a bonfire and the first thing they asked me what my WIFI password was! They cared more about Facebook then they did buring couches and making smores. I really loved how the author said that his kids love to go outside only when it is between 67-73, sunny, and no bugs.. I do not totallty blame tectnoogloy for children not wanting to play outside because the world has gotten more dangerous then it was when I grew up. Hell I'm even scared to walk to my car in peoria when I get off work late (2:00am). I do not blame children for feeling scared sometimes but if that is the case the parents should be out there as well, and I don't mean sitting outside on an Ipad, I mean playing and supervising.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment