Tuesday, February 4, 2014

On Facebook, Biggest threat to your private data may be you

        The article I chose to read was "On Facebook, Biggest Threat to Your Private Data May be you", by Jacquienlynn Floyd. This article address the privacy issue on the social media site, Facebook. It gives examples about what should be shared on Facebook (vacation pictures), and what should be kept offline (details about your dentist appointment).  I agree with this and it supports the next idea in the article about whose fault is it for sharing to much information on Facebook. Most people blame Facebook for making everything so open and public and "pushing for information", when really it is the person who is sharing that information. It is not like Facebook is forcing you to tell the world that you threw up on your prom date. If you want to post a status or a picture that you have to block a few people from seeing (like your mom) I would suggest not doing it. One way or another it will be found and you wont be able to blame Facebook for not respecting your privacy, if you posted it.
          Facebook was not made to be a diary but a way to connect with friends outside of school, work, the states and even the world. In this article the author did make a lot of great points and supports their ides with examples and research. Half way through the article I felt like they were venting about what annoyed them on Facebook, which I did not care for, be they soon jumped back on topic and finished the article with with a question that left you thinking.



1 comment:

  1. What did the author leave you thinking about? What are your thoughts on this issue? Remember the point of text response entry is not just to summarize, but to actually further the discussion.

    ReplyDelete