Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Left Behind, Way Behind

The article I chose to read was called Left Behind, Way Behind, by Bob Herbert. This article is about a serious problem in the United states that we have yet found a solution for, education. Education is important because that is how we become stronger and smarter as a nation. That is how we became the most powerful nation in the world, we are educated. The article addresses a interesting point, about how the poorer students test lower in every subject then nonpoor students. I find this interesting because all schools have the same test and level a student needs to be at before graduating and if both students are at the same school but the nonpoor student is more educated, a lot of the problem may be at home. I can understand this to be true because the poorer student might have to work or raise a younger sibling and not have a change to study, like a student who does not have those responsibilities. I think instead of the government trying to refine the school system they should look into each family situation. This will help them to find a solution to give students an easier life outside of school,then this will lead to them becoming more successful and ultimately lead to the nation to becoming more powerful, because I don't want to live in a world were the United States is not the leading nation. The author left me thinking about what all the students, that are left behind, have to offer because who knows one mind have the cure for cancer...

No comments:

Post a Comment